Touring for 2016 is now over and rather than blah-blah-Blog about myself I thought I would just take this moment to do something a little different. Christmas is around the bend and I felt inspired to create a list of local Christmas gift ideas. This is one powerful way to to truly help our own economy and rather than assist a CEO hide money offshore or go on another overseas holiday you can instead help put food on a table, help an artist survive, assist a kid going to music class or ballet lessons and make a huge positive impact. I have compiled a list of great Aussie Christmas gift ideas. This list is comprised of Australian makers and creatives that also happen to be my friends or friends of friends. Buying locally produced products made with love really is a gift that keeps on giving!
- Joyero Jewellery : Kimberly made my kick-ass thunderbird ring pictured above!
- Allure Handmade Jewellery
- A Wind From The East By Wendy Dartnall : My mums beautiful memoir!
- A Melbourne Guitar Repairs Voucher: My brother Jeb's guitar repair business!
- Church Farm - delicious Hand Made & Home Grown Sauces and Soaps (pictured below)
- Ya-Lu Blue Tea Bar - Herbal Apothecary : Yummy Tea-Bath-Body & Skincare!
- I Heart Songwriting Club : Buy a 10-week subscription for a fellow songwriter. $50. This is an awesome business run by Brissy muso extroadinaire Francesca de Valence!!!
- Life Cycle : Brisbane Bicycles & Servicing
- Rocksteady Records : Melbourne's newest record store with lots of new and secondhand vinyl . . . Local independent releases . . . PBS/RRR Member Discounters . . .Reggae, funk, soul, rock, jazz, hip hop, indie, new wave etc . . .Turntables and books too.
- Basement Discs : Music CD's, DVD's, Vinyl & more.
- Belaroma Cafe (BRIS) : My lil' bro Adams cafe in Stones Corner offers delicious food n coffee. Hit him up for a Gift Voucher for your Brissy friends n' fam!
- Lord Coconut : Specialises in Mens jewellery featuring over 40 Australian designers!
- Noun Movement Books (& Binders) : Handbound books, with an emphasis on traditional bookbinding and contemporary design. They even make to order and do Gift Vouchers!
- Council Of Objects : Specialises in all things lovely and hand made in Australia, with a strong focus on quality and craftmanship.
- Tales From Nowherehood : Original sketches of previously undiscovered and untold storybook characters inked and framed by talented artist Stevie Smiles.
Cadwyn Craft : Handmade Toys
Papermoon Crafts : This is the cutest smallest business from one of the youngest and most talented entrepreneurs I have ever met, India! Unfortunately she does not sell online yet but if you are lucky to be in the Brisbane area and can pop over to the Gap Markets every second Sunday you can buy her very pretty products. I also highly recommend you follow this gal on instagram; @papermoon.crafts.
Please Note : This list will keep being added to over the next few weeks so keep an eye on it as it blossoms!
BUT WHAT IF I'M FEELING THE F$NANCIAL PINCH?
1. KRIS KRINGLE
Decide on a price limit and go nuts! My family have in past years gone overboard in the gift department. This year however we decided to think outside the box and have a rule that every gift must be under $30. This is splendidly already showing healthy signs of competitiveness and creativity amongst us siblings! heh heh.
I am also a sucker for making a few gifts too. Especially if you are feeling the financial pinch this can be the best option and in my opinion often the most memorable gifts as well. I have been known to make body scrubs, Mexican embroidered tea towels, handmade clothes, screen printed T's and cards to name a few things. If you feel inspired here is a super cheap body scrub recipe to get you started!
May the force be with you this silly season amigos!